What is Ecumenism?
Ecumenism is a pan-heresy
“Ecumenism is a common name for the pseudo-christianities, for the pseudo-churches of Western Europe. Within it is the heart of all European humanisms led by the Papacy. All these pseudo-christianities, all these pseudo-churches are nothing more than one heresy next to the other. Their common name is pan-heresy.”
+Saint Justin (Popović)
One of the Devil’s tentacles
“The devil spread three tentacles tο capture the whole world. The rich to catch them with Masonry, the poor with communism and the religious with ecumenism.”
+Saint Paisios of Μount Athos
Quoted by Metropolitan Piraeus of Seraphim
Pastoral Circular, Sunday of Orthodoxy, 2013
The new Ecumenist Church
“The Satan-led and fetid pan-heresy of Ecumenism adopts and legitimizes all heresies as “churches” and attacks the uniqueness, exclusivity and dogma of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church. A new doctrine of the Church has now grown, is being taught and is imposed by the Ecumenists; a new ecclesiology, according to which no group can claim exclusively the character of “Catholic and true Church”—whether heretics, or even the Orthodox Church. Every heresy, even the Orthodox Church, is only a piece, a part of this new Ecumenist “church,” and not the entire Church. All together these heresies with the Orthodox Church compose the new Ecumenist Church.”
+ Metropolitan Seraphim of Piraeus
Ecumenism is a heresy that needs to be condemned
“Does a need exist for the convening of an Ecumenical Synod? Do the prerequisites exist for the convening and success of an Ecumenical Synod?
In answering the first question we say, that, if the primary cause for which Ecumenical Synods are convened, is heresy, there is truly a serious reason for an Ecumenical Synod to be convened. And this reason is: Besides other errors, or deceptions, and heresies, which must be condemned, there is also the heresy, which by a distinguished ever-memorable Heirarch of the Greek Church has called the heresy of heresies. It is a contemporary heresy of our days. The name of the heresy? Ecumenism. The followers of Ecumenism think, that the truth from revelation is not found fully in one Church or in one Religion or in one philosophical system, but that it is found spread about more or less in all the Churches and in all the Religions and in all the philosophical systems. And consequently Orthodoxy is not able to say, according to them, that She possesses from revelation the whole truth, that she is “the pillar and ground of truth”, the treasure chest of the word of God, the clear and never failing source, towards which only, nations and peoples must turn to draw the living and changing water.
Not accepting the uniqueness of Orthodoxy the followers of Ecumenism turn also towards other wells, cloudy ones, towards broken wells according to the prophet. The followers of Ecumenism, to make easier, as they say, the creation of the brotherhood of all peoples under a common roof, they tend, through the mixing of various elements, to create a new Religion or rather a Super-religion, a mixture of truths and falsehoods, whose taste is pleasant in the palates of the people of various ideologies and apprehensions. Ecumenism is a revival of an old current, of Syncretism, in which our ancient progenitors and other peoples, doubting with regard to the truths of their Religions, tried to extinguish their metaphysical thirst, inasmuch as in this current of Syncretism there came together and united many small currents of various views.
Unfortunately from Ecumenism not a few have been attacked even from among the Orthodox, clergy and laity, theologians and not, and even monks. The itch of Ecumenism has reached even Mount Athos… Remember what at times the mellifluous mouths of mega-schema representatives of the Ecumenical Patriarchate vomit out, who according to their understanding interpret even that title of the Patriarchate.
Those who are attacked from the contagion of Ecumenism have spiritual daltonism [color blindness]. They don’t distinguish the differences between the Orthodox Church, heterodox, and even of those of other religions. These people only see similarities. And for the sake of similarities they call all to unite all the faiths and to become one! And they become wrathful and get all riled up if someone dares and reminds them of dogmatic differences and that a great chasm stands between Orthodox, heterodox and those of other religions, and that it is extremely dangerous to attempt lightning fast jumps. In Ecumenism Orthodoxy loses its color and its aroma, the blood and the fragrance of Christ.
The danger coming from Ecumenism is unimaginable. And only for the condemnation of Ecumenism as a frightful heresy ravaging all of Orthodoxy it is necessary for an Ecumenical Synod to be convened.”
+Bishop Augoustinos Kantiotis (+2010), TOWARDS AN ECUMENICAL SYNOD?
Ecumenism confounds everything
“Ecumenism confounds everything. It does not believe that there is Orthodoxy; that there is Truth for which the Saints and Fathers struggled from the time of the Apostles. The Apostles were the first to struggle to preserve the faith, and then after them the Holy Fathers did likewise… Do you see how frightful a thing this is? The Holy Fathers as far back as the era of the Apostles, struggled so manfully… If we look at the New Testament, we will see that the Apostles themselves spoke about false shepherds, of wolves in sheep’s clothing, of heretics even in the New Testament.”
+ Fr. Theodore Zisis, The Recent History of Ecumenism and the Struggle for Orthodoxy
Ecumenism works against the Church’s mission
“For nineteen centuries the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church has refused to name various heretical Christian communities as Christian Churches… We do not abandon those abiding in the darkness of heresy and malicious intentions to find rest in their confusions and spiritual darkness, but we remind them of the words of the Lord: “And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free” (Jn. 8:32)… Are we not hiding the truth and light of Christ from them? Won’t we, the Orthodox, answer on the day of judgment for constructing this spiritual tower of Babel and concealing the saving Truth of God?”
+ Metropolitan Seraphim of Kythira, “Crete council made questionable decisions”
Dialogue is no longer justified
“The question of the Church has become a real one in our days also, but now it has a broader scope. Although the “ecumenical movement” of recent times is occupied not with the question of the unity of faith, but with the aim of participating in the proposed plan of an epochal reconstruction of human society – still, sooner or later, the question of the foundations and scope of Christian faith in this attempt at union will have to arise. It is our obligation to show why this movement cannot be justified. But we ourselves will not be completely justified if we descend from the breadth of the Orthodox world-view, with all its fullness, to a narrow platform of conceptions and, most importantly, to Western conceptions of the Church. At one time it was permissible and harmless for the representatives of our church history and theology, when entering into dialogue with Protestantism, to descend to its narrow platform: but in present circumstances this is no longer justified.”
Protopresbyter Michael Pomazansky, “Is there an Invisible Church?”
The Russian Orthodox Church Abroad’s Anathema Against Ecumenism
Those who attack the Church of Christ by teaching that Christ’s Church is divided into so-called “branches” which differ in doctrine and way of life, or that the Church does not exist visibly, but will be formed in the future when all “branches” or sects or denominations, and even religions will be united into one body; and who do not distinguish the priesthood and mysteries of the Church from those of the heretics, but say that the baptism and eucharist of heretics is effectual for salvation; therefore, to those who knowingly have communion with these aforementioned heretics or who advocate, disseminate, or defend their new heresy of Ecumenism under the pretext of brotherly love or the supposed unification of separated Christians, Anathema!
—Synod of Bishops of the Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia, Department of Foreign Relations, 1985, Newsletter, Issues 36-50, p. 47. Added to the Rite of the Triumph of Orthodoxy. Source
Fr. George Calciu speaks about “the greatest temptation” to Orthodox faithful today: Ecumenism
Ecumenical Patriarch Bartholomew, arch-Ecumenist
Whoever is with the Ecumenical Patriarch Bartholomew agrees with what he believes.
Do you believe in what he believes?
- Believes and preaches: “all religions are pathways of salvation.” (the idea of the antichrist ecumenism) This is the biggest insult of all times against Christ. If other religions lead also to salvation, then God’s plan of the incarnation of the Son – His teachings, miracles, crucifixion and resurrection – were futile and in vain! Only a devil could support such things. And yet bishops and priests adore this man!
- Believes and preaches that the Quran (and the scriptures of other religions) is “equal to the holy scripture and as sacred” and that Muslims can go to heaven without believing in Christ.
- Believes and preaches that many commandments of God are temporary, thus clashing even with the Lord!
- Calls “blessed” and honors the synagogue of the Jews, where Christ and the Theotokos are insulted with such insults that it is unthinkable even to name them.
- Believes and preaches the basic principle of Freemasonry, that is: “Let each one worship the one God as they prefer…” “God takes pleasure in the peaceful coexistence of humans, especially of those who worship Him regardless of differences existing in faith among the three major monotheistic religions.”
- Seeks to repeal or amend a plurality of holy canons, something which for Orthodoxy is a characteristic of a heretic. He calls the canons “walls of shame.”
- Believes and preaches—contrary to dozens of Synods and hundreds of Saints—that the Roman “church” is canonical, the mysteries are valid and the Pope is a canonical bishop. In 1995 he co-signed with the Pope a “Common Statement of Faith.”
- In 2011 he even catechized students of the Pontifical University in favor of the Pope: The Ecumenical Patriarch Bartholomew received a visiting group of students of the Pontifical Institute of Sant Apollinare. Referring to the students told them: “Follow the Pope. Pope Benedict XVI is a great theologian who does good in all the churches. Follow him with love and compassion.”
- Prayed with Protestants who distort the teachings of Jesus, insult the Theotokos, despise the holy Mysteries of the Church, and being iconoclasts, they are under the anathema of the 7th Ecumenical Council.
- He accepts the baptism of Protestants (Lutherans).
- Recognizes the ordinations of the Anglicans.
- In November of 1993 he lifted the anathemas between the Orthodox Church and the heresy of the Monophysites. Each side recognized the other as Orthodox. He calls the condemnations and anathemas of the Fourth Ecumenical Council against the Monophysites (which were reiterated by the subsequent Councils) “misunderstandings of the past that have been surpassed” since “there is no theology that divides us”!
- He accepted the sacraments of papists and the UNIA…. [1991 at Balamand, Lebanon]
- He accepted the joint declaration with the Protestants, [at the Congress of the WCC in 2006 in Porto Alegre] that there is not merely One Church, but that the 348 churches—members of the WCC—are genuine churches. One of them is the Orthodox Church! The various heretical teachings of the Protestants are considered as different ways to express the same faith and as a variety of the gifts of the Holy Spirit. Thus admitting that in the end there are no heresies!! “These churches are asked to keep pace even when they disagree.”
- By believing in all of the above he denies four articles of the Creed.
- He is a denier of the Saints and the Fathers.
- He said: “Our forefathers who bequeathed to us the breakage (schism) were unlucky victims of the evil serpent and they already lie in the hands of righteous God. We ask God’s mercy on them, but as we stand before him we must rectify their errors”!!!
- He is an open enemy of the Saints. But he who blasphemes the Saints is Antichrist.
If we want to follow our Saints, we must ask the condemnation and deposition of Patriarch Bartholomew and all Ecumenist bishops who prey on the flock of our Christ, if they don’t repent.
Nickolas Zotos, Orthodox Truth
September 2, 2016
Translated from Greek by Fr. Emmanuel Hatzidakis
- Ecumenism Awareness: https://orthodoxinfo.com/ecumenism/
- Ecumenism is not Orthodoxy
- “Metropolitan Seraphim of Kythira: Crete council made questionable decisions”
- “Prominent New Calendar Priest Protopresbyter Theodore Zisis Ceases Commemoration of His Bishop”
- “The Recent History of Ecumenism and the Struggle for Orthodoxy (Part A)” by Fr. Theodore Zisis
- A Confession of Faith Against Ecumenism